players in the development and introduction of Kem-Toneź
paint were Nathan E. Van Stone, James V. Hunn, and Donald A. Kohr,
Jr., a team of Sherwin-Williams chemists who shared a commitment to
finding a new type of paint. Under the leadership of Van Stone, each
member of the team successfully built upon each other's individual
research in resins and emulsification.
research into new coating concepts that led to Kem-Toneź
paint began as early as 1930, when Sherwin-Williams established
a central research laboratory in Chicago known as Allied Research.
In 1933, it established an additional research department called
Resin Research. It was there that James Hunn began to investigate
innovative binders for paints such as new alkyds (synthetic polymers
formed from complex alcohols and acids) and phenolics (synthetic
polymers made from aromatic organic compounds containing OH groups).
Hunn's chemical innovations included a development of the linseed
oil-limed rosin varnish that was eventually used in Kem-Toneź
paint. This represented an important transition from simple waterborne
protein paints, to oil-in-water modified protein paints.
1938, Van Stone was promoted from Sherwin-Williams' operations in
Chicago to Vice-President and Director of Paint Manufacturing in
Cleveland. This move was the beginning of the specific research
and development that led to Kem-Toneź paint, for Van Stone had the
foresight to realize that Hunn's resin research and further emulsification
research could lead to significant breakthroughs in water-based
Stone brought with him 20 years of experience in the Dry Color and
Chemical Products Departments, where pigments prepared in a water
system were "flushed" (mixed with emulsifiers and oil-type binders),
creating non-water, liquid, color concentrates. These were formulated
into both solvent-borne coatings and into the textile industry's
waterborne printing colors used for patterns on cotton fabric. This
technology extended logically into both Kem-Toneź paint
and the camouflage paints that were used in large volume in the
latter years of World War II.
was this vision and understanding of chemical research that led
Van Stone to appoint Donald Kohr as section supervisor of emulsion
and waterborne paint research for the company. Van Stone served
as the crucial link between Hunn's resin and polymer research and
Kohr's application of this research to produce emulsion paints.
directing waterborne paint research, Kohr employed Hunn's formulations
of linseed oil/rosin varnish. Kohr also applied Hunn's work with
refined polymerized tall oil to reinforce casein and corn protein
as binders. The result was the introduction of Kem-Toneź
paint and eventually the evolution of more durable waterborne paints.