The American Chemical Society and the Gesellschaft Deutscher Chemiker designated the foundation of polymer science by Hermann Staudinger as an International Historic Chemical Landmark with a ceremony in Freiburg-im-Breisgau, Germany, on April 19, 1999. A plaque marking the designation was presented to the Institute for Macromolecular Chemistry for installation at Hermann Staudinger House. The English version of the text reads:
This building is named after Hermann Staudinger, who, between 1926 and 1956, carried out his pathbreaking research on macromolecular chemistry in Freiburg. His theories on the polymer structures of fibers and plastics and his later research on biological macromolecules formed the basis for countless modern developments in the fields of materials science and biosciences and supported the rapid growth of the plastics industry. For his work in the field of polymers, Staudinger was awarded the Nobel Prize for chemistry in 1953.
The Gesellschaft Deutscher Chemiker's historic landmarks can be found at http://www.gdch.de/gdch/histstaett.htm.
Designed by MSK Partners, Hunt Valley, Maryland.