education has grown from a seed at 'Brooklyn Poly' to a young giant redwood…”1
Herman Mark arrived at Polytechnic Institute (now University) in Brooklyn,
New York, in 1940. A prominent scientist and a pioneer in the study of
polymers, Mark introduced the teaching of polymer chemistry into the school
curriculum immediately, built up the program over the next few years,
and by 1946 had established the Polymer Research Institute, the first
academic research facility in the United States for the study of polymers.
The American Chemical Society designated the Polymer Research Institute
as a National Historic Chemical Landmark on September 3, 2003.
C.E. Carraher, “Polymer Education and the Mark Connection,”
in G. Allan Stahl, ed., Polymer Science Overview: A Tribute To Herman
F. Mark (Washington, D.C.: American Chemical Society, 1981), p. 142.