took a B.S. in chemistry at the University of Illinois and a Ph.D. at
Cornell in 1935 with J. R. Johnson. After spending a year with the Solvay
Process Company, Snyder joined the faculty of the Chemistry Department
at Illinois, becoming a full professor in 1945.
From 1957 to 1960 Snyder served as Associate Head of the Chemistry Department
and from 1960 until his retirement in 1976 he had the additional responsibility
of Associate Dean of the Graduate School and Secretary of the Research
Board. During the Second World War, Snyder carried on work for the National
Defense Research Committee, the Committee on Medical Research, and the
W. P. B. Rubber Research Program. In the battle against malaria, he and
his students worked along with Charles Price
and Nelson Leonard to produce a crucial intermediate path to chloroquine.
Their efforts led to the production of sufficient quantities of chloroquine
for use in the Pacific Theater to fight malaria-carrying mosquitoes.
Snyder was a classical organic chemist who investigated the synthesis
of amino acids, heteroaromatic systems, and the reactions of amines and
indoles. He invented a new reaction process with C-alkylation of quaternary
ammonium salts. Snyder investigated mechanisms of organic reactions, especially
polymerization, Diels Alder reactions, and Mannich reactions.