American Chemical Society designated the Savannah Pulp and Paper Laboratory
a National Historic Chemical Landmark on September 26, 2001. The plaque
commemorating the event reads:
Charles Holmes Herty (1867-1938)Georgia chemist,
educator and advocate for the development of U.S. industriesfounded
and directed this laboratory, originally housed in a warehouse at 512
W. River Street provided by the Savannah Electric and Power Company.
Herty's research proved that valuable products such as newsprint, white
paper and rayon fibers could be made from young, fast-growing southern
pine trees. The resulting technology catalyzed the pulp and paper industry
in the South and helped revive the region's economy during the Great
Depression. Cultivation of the southern pine also conserved the slow-growing
northern hardwood forests. In 1938, the laboratory became the Herty
Foundation now located on Brampton Road.