The American Chemical Society designated the agricultural chemistry of George Washington Carver a National Historic Chemical Landmark on January 27, 2005. The plaque commemorating the event reads:
George Washington Carver achieved international fame as a scientist and innovator who applied novel chemical insights to agriculture. Born a slave, Carver joined the faculty of Tuskegee Institute (now Tuskegee University) in 1896 where he developed new products from peanuts, sweet potatoes, and other crops and conducted experiments in crop rotation and the restoration of soil fertility. Through his research, Carver urged southern farmers to rotate cotton with soil-enhancing crops such as soybeans and peanuts. To improve the lot of poor southern farmers, Carver produced a series of free, easily understood bulletins that included information on crops and cultivation techniques.
Written by Judah Ginsberg
The author wishes to thank D.H. Michael Bowen, Maureen Chan, and Frankie Wood-Black of the National Historic Chemical Landmarks Committee for reading the text and correcting inaccuracies. Needless to say, any errors are the author's alone.
Designed by MSK Partners, Hunt Valley, Maryland.