Metal of the Modern
aluminum was first introduced to the public at the Paris Exposition of
1855, a writer for National Magazine remarked, "just now,
in this new metal, so long concealed in every hill-side, and even in the
very dust of our streets, science seems about to make over to the arts
one of her occasional bestowments, by which both the knowledge and power
of our race are, at an instant, so widely increased."
The American Chemical Society designated the Commercialization of the
Hall Aluminum Process a National Historic Chemical Landmark in Pittsburgh,
Pennsylvania, on November 2, 2001.